WARNING: "AVENGERS: ENDGAME" SPOILERS AHEAD. SKIP THE FIRST TWO PARAGRAPHS TO AVOID IT
IT HAS BEEN a long while since my last post about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Well, I was knocked sideways by the death of Tony Stark. I had binge-watched the series and had gone through dozens of articles about MCU to write my previous post. These two acts of mine got me attached to the characters on a level deeper than I imagined was possible.
IT HAS BEEN a long while since my last post about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Well, I was knocked sideways by the death of Tony Stark. I had binge-watched the series and had gone through dozens of articles about MCU to write my previous post. These two acts of mine got me attached to the characters on a level deeper than I imagined was possible.
I would be lying if I said the death
of Tony Stark was the only reason for my delayed post. I had other pressing
issues going on in my life. However, Tony’s death did have an impact on me. He
is one of those characters whom I looked up to as a child. And knowing that I won’t get to see him anymore disturbs me - even
though I have moved on.
Anyway, forget it. Let’s talk about
the importance of writing.
A few days ago, I happened to come across
Jordan Peterson’s video in which he enlightens his audience about the best way
to teach people critical thinking. And, as you guessed, he opines the best way
to teach people critical thinking is to teach them to write.
Watching that video I realized I have
been overlooking a topic of prime importance all this while. I believe the
importance of writing is not something that can be stressed enough in a single
post or a 5 mins video. But let me share the crux of the matter with you.
If you were to ask someone what the importance of writing is, they would probably say that it helps you communicate with others. But, writing is more about refining your thoughts than
just letting others know what you have to say. No sensible writer ever
publishes their first draft. In fact, no one dares to. And according to
Peterson, “Writing is formalized thinking.” But, schools or universities never taught us why we really write stuff. And most of us were under the
impression that we wrote stuff so that we could get good grades. But NO! That is not the reason why we were made to write dozens of assignments. We were made to write them so that we would hopefully learn how to organize our thoughts.
Let me explain it by walking you
through the process I undergo when writing a novel. The process which I did not realize I underwent until I came across Peterson's aforementioned video. First, I try to identify a
problem that is prevalent in the society that needs to be addressed. And since
I will be having only a few lines to say about the problem, I investigate it to widen the keyhole through which I look at it. So I
end up reading multiple books and articles on the subject matter. And once I know a bunch of
things that an average person wouldn’t be aware of, I pen down my thoughts.
Then I go through each line to see whether I have to rephrase any of the
sentences or not. During this editing process, I ensure my choice of words
leaves no room for ambiguity and that my sentences are pristine, and I
rearrange the paragraphs - at times delete or replace them - to deliver a
coherent comprehensible message to my readers. Then I set aside my work for a
few weeks and won’t think about it. After my
cool off time, I will go through my manuscript from the beginning; I analyze the points from the viewpoint of my ideal reader. Errors and
inconsistencies I overlooked the last time suddenly pops up magically. In short, I end up spending thousands of hours refining my thoughts before I convey it to my audience.
Do you see the stark contrast between talking (spontaneous speech synthesis) and writing even though they both are meant to help us communicate with one another? When you talk you don’t necessarily get time to think and reflect on your thoughts, which is why writing is the best way to learn to think critically.
Do you see the stark contrast between talking (spontaneous speech synthesis) and writing even though they both are meant to help us communicate with one another? When you talk you don’t necessarily get time to think and reflect on your thoughts, which is why writing is the best way to learn to think critically.
One of the reasons why some people
were phenomenally successful was because they were extremely good at
articulating their thoughts in a pristine manner. There is nothing in this world that could stop you if you can structure your thoughts and convey them by
the right use of words.
……………………………………..
“The pen is mightier than the
sword”
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
……………………………………..
FOR MORE:

Comments
Post a Comment